Neck therapy is often called “neck rehabilitation” or “neck physical therapy.” It is a specialized form of physical therapy that focuses on evaluating, treating, and rehabilitating conditions and injuries related to the neck and cervical spine.
It addresses neck-related issues, such as neck pain, stiffness, reduced range of motion, headaches, and pinched nerves. Neck rehabilitation aims to reduce pain, improve function, increase flexibility and strength, and promote overall neck health.
A licensed physical therapist is typically the person who provides neck therapy. They have the expertise and knowledge to assess your condition, identify the underlying causes of your neck-related symptoms, and develop a personalized treatment plan tailored to your needs.
The physical therapist may use techniques and interventions in neck therapy, including…
- Manual Therapy – Hands-on techniques to mobilize and manipulate the neck joints and soft tissues.
- Therapeutic Exercises – Specific exercises designed to strengthen neck muscles, improve posture, and enhance flexibility.
- Stretching Techniques – Gentle stretches to improve the range of motion and flexibility of the neck.
- Heat or Cold Therapy – Application of heat or cold to reduce inflammation and alleviate pain.
- Posture Education – Guidance on maintaining proper posture to prevent neck strain and pain.
- Ergonomic Advice – Recommendations on workplace or home setup to reduce strain on the neck.
- Modalities – Using ultrasound, electrical stimulation, or traction to aid pain relief and healing.
The specific treatments used in neck therapy will vary depending on the individual’s condition and the therapist’s assessment. The goal is to provide a comprehensive and holistic approach to addressing neck issues, promoting recovery, and preventing future problems.
If you are experiencing neck pain or other neck-related symptoms, consult with a physical therapist. We can evaluate your condition, diagnose properly, and recommend appropriate neck therapy to help you regain function and improve your overall neck health.